The Lightest 50 Litre Rucksacks - April 2013
2 April 2013
I love my 50 litre Golite Jam rucksack, we only sleep together on camping trips (and maybe the occasional night at home when Im lonely), but we have a reasonable relationship and a mutual respect for each other. I think 50 litres is the perfect size for a few days hiking in the summer. You can still stuff a few luxuries in there (like my Coleman pillow and my Kindle) without popping a vein in your neck fastening the clip.
Heres a list of popular 50 litres (ish) rucksacks, sorted by weight. This isnt stripped weight because half the time I dont know what the manufacturer means by stripped weight (although I always use stripped weight if anyone asks my weight). I also dont pay too much attention to the (+10) that manufacturers keep adding onto the packs because it usually means youve just overloaded your rucksack a little.
- Terra Nova Quasar and Voyager 45L 640g
- Granite Gear Virga 52L 650g
- Golite Jam 50L 840g
- OMM Adventure 45 (+10) 952g
- Exped Lightening 45L 1000g
- Granite Gear Aji 50L 1155g
- Osprey Exos 58L 1140g
- OMM Villian 45(+10) 1175g
- Lowe Alpine Zepton 50L 1185g
- Montane Grand Tour 55L 1290g
- Blue Ice 45L 1375g
- Fjällräven Friluft 55L 1420g
- Granite Gear Vapour Flash 52L 1460g
- Deuter Act Lite 50L(+10) 1580g
- POD Black Ice 50L (+12L) 1600g
- Osprey Variant 52L 1640g
- Berghaus Freeflow Pro 50L 1750g
As you know there is always a trade-off between lightness and durability, so if, for some reason only known to you, you need to transport a couple of anvils over Scafell Pike to Wasdale Head then dont choose a Terra Nova rucksack, my mate Richo has a donkey if youre interested.
Thanks for reading.